Tuesday 10 August 2010

Arrived in USA!

After getting up at 4am to get myself and 2 small children (3 and 6) to the airport we arrived in USA 18 hours and 3 flights later. The suitcases were with us but unfortunately due to rushing in Philadelphia to make the connection I forgot to pick up the car seats off the carousel and re-check them so unsurprisingly they didn't magically turn up at our destination - until this morning when they were delivered to the house! The children survived the journey really well and were even running around the airport at the equivalent to midnight (after being up since 4am and having had no sleep on the plane - except for when my little girl fell asleep 10 minutes before landing!). We are all really excited to be with my brother and his wife and my mum. The heat however is overpowering - what a shock when I opened the window last night in our bedroom and it felt as if I'd opened an oven door! Air conditioning is a god-send and I don't think I'd really appreciated that it was switched on until the shock with the window!

So, day 1 in USA - my 6 year old woke up at 4am! and wouldn't go back to sleep - thank goodness for Harry Potter on the ds with headphones. That worked for an hour and then I had to draw him some pictures for him to colour in (thank you Jamie for the pads and pens left in our room). Managed to hold off until 6am when I took them both down to breakfast. Its already baking hot outside with temperatures predicted of 93 degrees - 33 C.

So now the car seats are here we're off to hit the supermarket - Harris Teeter here we come! That should keep the children happy anyway - all they've eaten so far is almost a whole packet of Cornflakes - are all children so picky about what they will/won't eat?!

No comments:

Post a Comment